Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Classroom Setup: Day 1-3: Don't worry, I'm not done yet either!


First getting into room. Furniture is a mess and what they heck is all the stuff hanging from the ceiling!! I had my work cut out for me!

I've been working in my room for 3 days. You see, I had to move rooms again. The first room was the room of a retiring teacher who left a lot of things that I had to clean out. Then I switched grades to 2nd grade (yay!) and so I moved into another room of a retiring teacher who left a lot of things that I had to clean out. The second room was not as bad as the first room and I did get a lot of goodies from them, but let me tell you; my process has been slow people. 


I finally have cleaned out all the cabinets and put things away. The insides of the cabinets are not 100% organized but hey, at least stuff is put away. My library is sorted, a HUGE project that feels so great to get checked off. I still need to label bins and put up a bulletin board, but the books are sorted by theme and placed in tubs so that is a win. 
Library Before: Lots and lots of books to sort!! Yay for big classroom libraries :)
Library During: Books are sorted!! I need to get another rug and a few more storage totes for the books stacked on the shelves. I also want to put paper on the book boxes so they aren't so boring white and label the bins and put up the bulletin board, but at least the books are sorted!

There are still piles of garbage, recycling, books to surplus, and things to donate, but furniture is in place and arrangement is another HUGE project that feels good to get done. 



Displaying 08122014257.jpgDisplaying 08122014258.jpg
Furniture mildly set up, look at all the garbage and so many things to donate/toss!! See those cabinets and three filing cabinets in the back? They were FULL of old lesson plans and materials. Although you can't tell, I spent HOURS cleaning them out and getting them all organized. This will be a huge time-saver once the year starts.

I also finished my attendance/lunch count board. It has sections for all of our different lunch choices. We have quite a few options for lunch at my school (hot, salad, sandwich, yogurt, or lunch from home). The board also has sections for kids to move their magnets to when they go to the bathroom, nurse, library, or work with another teacher. I'll post more details on how I made it soon. I'm not sure if I love it on the door yet, we'll see how it feels once everything is done. 
Displaying 08142014286.jpgDisplaying 08142014285.jpg

I did manage to tear down all the posters and signs the old teacher left on the walls. Like this thing
Displaying 08112014256.jpg
Touch Points are a good resource, but this just takes up too much room and doesn't look as crisp and professional as I like my displays to be. I also pulled down all the things hanging from the ceiling. If you look at the first picture, there were table flags and some clips to hang work; I didn't like the cluttered look of it all. I also was able to put up one of my displays, the calendar!!
 The adorable Frog Calendar set is from Carson-Dellosa and can be found here!

I'm hoping to go back in soon to keep working. Check back for updates!


No comments:

Post a Comment