Pages

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Tasty Tuesday: Steak and Avocado Slider Meal

Happy Tasty Tuesday!! Here is a super delicious meal; Steak and Avocado Sliders, Creamy Corn Casserole, and Crispy Potato Wedges! This meal is perfect for game day or a casual dinner meal. I made it last night for a casual meal in. I wouldn't say it was exactly easy; there are many steps and it's a bit time consuming, but each step itself is easy-peasy so if you have a little bit of time to chop and prepare, you must try this! The great thing too is that you can easily make a lot of each part of the meal so that means leftovers, yum!
IMAG1481
Let's start with the corn casserole. Make sure though to put the potatoes in the oven and marinade the meat before you get started. Details on these recipes are further along in the post. I got the idea for the corn casserole from Pioneer Women, here is her blog,Pioneer Woman Blog. I also have her books. She has FABULOUS recipes, all made with real food. She also is down to earth and quite funny. I took her corn casserole recipe and switched it up a bit. I honestly was a bit skeptical, "Corn casserole? Never head of that before! I guess we'll see how this turns out because I am not going to the store again!" but when I took that first bite, I was hooked! I think this will most certainly become a staple in our household. It's less of a casserole and more of a really delicious way to eat corn. Here's what you need:
  • Frozen corn
  • Diced onion, I used yellow
  • Diced bell peppers, I used red and green
  • Butter
  • Cream
  • Salt and Pepper
  • Mesquite seasoning
First, I sauteed the frozen corn with a bit of mesquite seasoning. I wanted a bit of a grilled flavor. My husband suggested next time we grill the peppers for that flavor. Sounds like a great idea we'll try in the future, but the mesquite seasoning worked well too. Don't fully cook the corn, then it will be mushy in the casserole, just saute it a bit to warm it up.IMAG1470 IMAG1469
Next, saute the onions and peppers. Cooking onions is one of my favorite smells in the world! I try to work in onions to every meal just so that I can so I can smell that glorious smell! Don't overcook these either. We just want them to soften up a bit. I have no picture of this step, but look at these delicious veggies! The avocado and tomato are for the sliders later on :)
IMAG1471
Now, mix up the corn, onions, and peppers in a big bowl. Add butter, I used half a stick for about 4 or 5 cups of frozen corn. (I am horrible at measuring exacts, I like to taste test instead). Also add cream or half and half. I added about 1/2 a cup, but would add a little less next time.Season with salt and pepper. Depending on if you use salted butter or not will dictate how much salt to use. You really want the creaminess of the sauce to be a bit salty for contrast. Remember, we didn't add salt while cooking any of the veggies so be a bit liberal, but you can always add more later if needed. Salting a recipe is definitely a talent and varies based on palette. Then put the whole concoction into a casserole dish. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes. I put it on broil for the last 5,  I love doing this with a lot  of recipes, but as I said before, I think I added a little too much cream and really wanted some of the liquid to cook off. It comes out warm, creamy, colorful, salty, and a great side dish!                                                    IMAG1473IMAG1474
Now onto the wedges which you can cook while the casserole is baking. You should have been baking the potatoes for about an hour while doing all this corn prep. Scrub them clean and then salt them heavily and bake until done. 350 for 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven and size of the potatoes. Take out and let cool. You could microwave, but then the skin won't be nearly as crispy.
IMAG1468
After the potatoes have cooled a bit, cut them into half and then half again, making wedge shapes. They'll be a bit starchy and mushy. Break them up a bit. Then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.    
                      IMAG1475
Lastly, fry them in about 2/3 inch of oil. The sound of those little guys frying right up is enticing ! Make sure you flip them so that all thee sides touch the bottom of the pan at some point. But don't flip too much! This will cause the wedges to simply fall apart. Two turns is all you need so that each side gets one turn.
IMAG1477 IMAG1476
Remove them when they are golden brown and place of a plate of paper towels to soak up the extra grease. Salt immediately. They will be flavorful, crispy on the outside, and fluffy on the inside.                                                    IMAG1480
Finally the entree which ironically is the easiest part. I marinaded the steak with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, and balsamic vinegar.
IMAG1478
When you're ready to cook, slice into small pieces and then throw into a frying pan with some onions. I told you I love them! I like to make the frying pan really hot before I put the meat in so that it sears, but you have to be careful your pan is a bit oiled if you do this so the meat doesn't stick.
IMAG1479
Afterwards, serve on a mini-bun (we used pretzel buns) with avocado, tomato, and cheese. We only had cheddar, but I think I'd prefer blue cheese. I made a mayonnaise-onion sauce to smear on the bun. Sorry, I didn't take a picture of that but I just took the drippings and onions from cooking the steak and mixed it with mayo! I used it on the sliders and to dip my Potato Wedges into. Again, look at this delicious meal. Made with all real food and not too unhealthy :) Yummy!
IMAG1481

No comments:

Post a Comment