Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

2nd Grade Sight Word Instruction!!

I recently finished my 2nd Grade Sight Word Unit and am pretty excited to use it next year. The unit contains practice pages for Fry Words 201-300 as well as an assessment check-list and practice games! 




I will incorporate Sight Word Work into my Reader's Workshop Rotations this year and have Word Work using Words Their Way in a separate 20 minute block of time. 

I spend less than 5 minutes a day introducing a new sight word. First I ask students how they think the word should be spelled and write their ideas down. This is GREAT for phonemic awareness and phonics. It's also a great formative assessment :) Then I teach them the correct way to spell the word and we practice it in different ways; body spelling, sky writing, and end with a little chant or song depending on how many letters are in the word. The First Grade Parade gave me some great ideas for songs. I just love her ideas!!


After direct instruction, students get to work practicing with the word during Reader's Workshop rotations. They must first complete the practice pages. Students trace it, color it, read it, find it, fill in the missing letters, and draw/complete the sentence. After they finish their practice page, they play one of the games included in the 2nd Grade Sight Word Unit. I introduce them slowly, one at a time, until they master them. Once a week they also go on a sight word hunt. I laminate a big piece of poster paper and they write sentences containing the sight words of the week on the poster with whiteboard markers. Anything where I can integrate reading, I do!

I assess every few weeks and share that information with students, families, and support staff so we can plan interventions if necessary.



Get it here and  happy teaching!! I'd love to hear about your sight word ideas so please share in comments below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment