Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Does calling students "friends" make you lose authority?


I had an interesting conversation with a team member at lunch the other day that I want to share with the rest of the teaching community to get your thoughts. I use the call signal, "Friends" to get the attention or give directions to my class. This is common verbage for our administration as well. One of my team members expressed her distaste for this phrase. I was shocked! Why would the phrase "Friends" offend a teacher? When she explained I could see here point, I didn't agree, but could at least somewhat see where she was coming from. Her thinking is that by calling students "friends" adults give up some of their power. That students, if they view their teacher as a friend, will think they don't need to listen or respect the teacher. While I can track her though pattern, I don't fully agree. My definition of a friend includes respect. I've never had issues with kids questioning my authority because they think I am their friend. In fact, I think the opposite is true. My students view me as a friend and because of that they know I care about them deeply. That I am on their side and have their best interest at heart. They feel safe to make mistakes, ask for help, and take chances because of the support I give them. They also view me as a person with feelings because I am their friend, not simply an adult who is in charge of them. Of course, there are about as many management styles as there are teachers and many different styles work. My style is definitely strict but full of love. So I don't mind calling students friends. They are my friends and I am theirs. I'd love to hear other opinions about this as well as your classroom management style. Happy Day!

My favorite book on friendship, "A Friend is Someone who Likes You" by Joan Walsh Anglund. My Grandma frequently read it to me and now I read it on the first day of school each year, incorporating it into a Writer's Workshop Lesson about Friendship
 http://www.amazon.com/Friend-Someone-Who-Likes-You/dp/0152296786/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1400399346&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=a+friend+is+someone+who+loves+you

No comments:

Post a Comment